Do your employees work in a hazardous environment with harmful gases, fumes, dust, or vapors? If your answer is an unambiguous yes, then the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) mandates your employees to wear respirators while performing their job duties.
In the post-Covid world, there is an increased focus on worker health and safety. Apart from the compliance issues, what steps you take to ensure the safety of your employees is also directly linked to their productivity and motivation levels to work for you.
A respirator protects the wearer against toxic substances and allows them to breathe easily. However before your employee can use a respirator, they must undergo a medical examination and certified OSHA fit testing. If you are new to the process, or just need a refresher, you need to find a certified OSHA fit testing trainer.
Certified OSHA Fit Testing Trainers Near You
Professional Fit Testing Services offers fit testing using your currently available respirators, as well as training your designated employee(s) to conduct fit testing in-house.
Our respirator fit test begins with a medical evaluation, where a physician or other licensed healthcare professional will review OSHA’s medical evaluation questionnaire completed by your employee. This medical professional will also provide you (the employer) and your employee with a written recommendation.
This recommendation will cover 3 things:
- Whether your employee is capable of wearing the respirator (if they have any medical limitations, such as they had any dental work done, they won’t be able to wear the respirator properly)
- Whether the said employee needs to undergo any follow-up medical examinations
- A written document saying you (the employer) and your employee have been provided with a copy of the recommendation.
If your employee is approved to wear a respirator, they will have to undergo two fit tests: a quantitative fit test and a qualitative fit test.
When you choose to work with the certified OSHA fit testing trainers at Professional Fit Testing Services, we will make sure your training includes the following:
- Respiratory hazards
- Written procedures
- Respirator uses and limitations
- User seal check
- Hands-on practice
- Wearing and adjusting the respirator
- Training documentation
- Medical signs and symptoms
- Maintenance and storage
Contact A Certified OSHA Fit Testing Trainer
The thing with fit testing is, it’s not a one-and-done type of thing. OSHA recommends that fit testing should be repeated annually but it also needs to be repeated in the following cases:
- If the employee designated to wear the respirator has had substantial weight loss or gain
- If their facial contours have changed significantly (for example, jaw surgery or broken nose)
- If they have had major dental work
- If the brand of respirator they use has changed
If you are looking for a reliable and certified OSHA fit testing trainer who can help you stay in compliance with OSHA and other state and federal respiratory regulations, look no further. Professional Fit Testing Services has 13+ years of experience working with customers to provide on-site health testing solutions that exceed their expectations.
We work closely with state and federal government agencies, municipalities, businesses, and private industries to deliver state-of-the-art testing solutions. To know more, call us today at (336) 802-1759 or drop us a message online.